Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Each time I venture into the world of creative endeavor to share my husband's legacy, I feel elated and renewed.  This time I would be sharing several appropriate poems I chose from Naked, and three of Jim's earlier works (In Pursuit of Honour, Paying the Price and The Athlete) with young adults from the Sacramento County Youth Detention Facility.  I brought 21 copies of each of the titles to be added to a cheery new library space both male and female juveniles could borrow from on a weekly basis.  Eleven young women came single-file into the setting of plastic chairs, while I faced them in a padded swivel chair, a bare table beside me with Jim's books selectively displayed offering me comfort and likewise offering kindness and friendship to my audience.  During the 40 minutes of talking serious biography and reading what I sensed the most moving, life-sustaining poems from Jim's imagination, I heard not a pin drop.  Afterward, there were sensitive questions and even signs of personal caring.  An hour later, twelve young men from maximum security were ushered into the same area for a 40-minute session and again I shared Jim's life and poetry with these sensitive incarcerated human beings.  When the final boy was strip-searched on exiting, I felt weak all over, but gratified that only God knows how, if, or when any minuscule piece of life or love I imparted will make a positive difference in those precious teenage lives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment